Peppermint Cheesecake Cake Recipe
This months recipe is from one of CakesDecors most valued members Christy Duffel Seguin of Cakes ROCK! Christy is like the queen of cake flavors, each and every one of them just as delicious as the last. But when I asked her for a recipe for the gazette it was no surprise she gives this favorite one, her fabulous Peppermint cheescake cake. It is one that she loves to make for Christmas for her family and she is sure you all will love it just as much as her and her family do! The candle cake below is her Peppermint cheesecake cake from her families Christmas dinner last year.
Christy’s Peppermint Cake Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- ½ Tbs Peppermint Extract
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk, room temperature (or warmed in mic for 45 seconds or so)
- Peppermint candy, crushed to tiny pieces. About ½ - 1 cup pieces, according to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter, oil, & sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, with mixer running on low.
- Mix in salt, baking soda, baking powder, & all flavorings.
- Add flour alternating with buttermilk, beginning & ending with flour.
- Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- Turn mixer up to high just for about 30 seconds to mix completely.
- Fold in crushed peppermint candies.
- Bake until center of cake is set.
DON’T use regular mint extract. It’s a different flavor. Be sure to use peppermint extract.
Christy’s Peppermint Icing Recipe
- 110 gm. Pasteurized Liquid Egg whites from carton
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp PEPPERMINT extract (DON’T use regular mint!)
- dash lemon extract
- 1.5 lbs. softened butter
- 6 oz white chocolate chips, melted & stirred until smooth
- ¼ - ½ cup peppermint candies crushed into tiny pieces
- Heat white chocolate 30 seconds at a time on high. Stir each time,
being careful not to let it burn; let sit until fully melted. Make SURE
it’s completely smooth! Set aside while you mix the other ingredients.
- Start blending egg whites & powdered sugar slowly with whisk
attachment. Then speed up to high until completely blended. Add
peppermint extract, salt, vanilla, and dash lemon extract. Whisk on
high until all sugar is completely dissolved & no lumps remain.
- Add butter, a large piece at a time, while continually whisking on
medium speed. Whisk until fully blended. Mixture may look a bit
curdled. No worries! The next step fixes that.
- Add melted white chocolate to mixture, careful not to touch sides of
bowl. I like to make a well in the center of the bowl & pour the
white chocolate into it. Start whisk on slow & quickly increase to
medium-high. Do NOT let the white chocolate touch the sides of the
bowl, sit for any length of time, or not get mixed in immediately or it
will cool into hard lumps throughout the icing.
- Whisk on medium-high for a few minutes, until light & fluffy, & whiter in color.
- Fold in crushed peppermint candies. If you intend to pipe the icing, make sure the pieces are super tiny.
Christy’s Peppermint Cheesecake
- 8 ounces regular cream cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese, strained overnight
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- ½ Tbs vanilla
- 1-2 tsp PEPPERMINT (not mint!) extract, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup crushed peppermint candies, divided
- The day before: Place ricotta cheese in a fine mesh strainer or a
cheesecloth, suspended over a large bowl. Cover in plastic wrap &
leave in refrigerator overnight. Discard liquid that drains off.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a regular 8 inch cake pan with foil, pressing securely against
sides & into the bottom edge of pan. Fold over & secure around
top of pan. Spray well with oil spray. Sprinkle ½ cup crushed candies
to cover bottom of pan.
- Beat cheeses & sugar until fluffy. Add flour, cornstarch, vanilla
& peppermint extract. Mix well. Mix in eggs until well blended.
Fold in remaining ¼ cup peppermint candies.
- Pour carefully into pan, disturbing bottom candies as little as
possible, until pan is about half full. Bake until center is set but not
dry, about 35 - 45 minutes. Placing in a pan of water is optional. If
top cracks a bit, it’s OK, as it will be sandwiched in the cake. It
will shrink down quite a bit as it cools. Let cool, & then wrap
entire pan in plastic wrap & freeze thoroughly.
To assemble cake:
- Torte 2 8” cake layers in to 4.
- Place one layer onto cardboard round
& spread with buttercream.
- Place second layer & spread very thin
layer of buttercream on top.
- Take cheesecake out of freezer, lift out
by the foil, peel foil off & place on top of cake.
- Spread a thin
layer of buttercream on top of cheesecake. The buttercream is necessary
to secure the cheesecake to the cake, but don’t make it too thick.
- Place next cake layer, buttercream, & top cake layer.
- Wrap in
plastic & refrigerate until very firm.
- Ice & decorate as