This is a very quick and easy all-in-one recipe which works great for carved cakes.
You can make this cake with a stand or hand mixer, but you need to ensure that you DO NOT overmix the batter or it can easily become tough or rubbery.
Makes ONE 6inch Round Cake in a 3inch deep cake pan or TWO shallow 7inch round cakes, ideal for a Victoria Sandwich.
1. Pre-heat your oven to Gas mark 4 (350 degrees F) (177 degrees C)
2. Grease your cake tin and line the bottom with baking paper, lightly flour the tins. Do not use spray oil or your cakes could collapse.
3. Place all your ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix on slow until just combined, then, scrape down the bowl with a spatula and mix again until smooth.
* Be sure not to undermix or overmix the batter, once all the lumps of margarine and flour have combined, mix for a few more seconds, and then stop.
* If you undermix the batter, it could result in an uneven texture in the cake or it could sink in the oven.
4. If the mixture appears too thick, add a couple more tablespoons of milk and mix again until combined.
5. Pour your cake batter into the prepared tin and place into cake in the oven, on the middle shelf, for around 30-50 minutes, or until an inserted skewer in the centre comes out clean.
NOTE: A 3inch deep cake can take up to an hour to bake, but if you’re using two 6inch 1.5inch deep cake tins, you will only need to bake them for around 20-30 minutes.
6. Leave the cakes to cool in their tins for around 15 minutes and then remove and place on a cooling rack until completely cool.
* For best results when carving a cake, bake the cakes the day before you need them. After they have cooled after baking, wrap them in a few layers of clingfilm/plastic wrap and leave on the kitchen counter overnight.